Advertisement
(File image) Picketers pass near a studio entrance during a rally outside Warner Bros. Studios in May. Alamy Stock Photo
Hollywood

Hollywood writers to resume talks over strike

The Writers Guild of America walkout, which began over the threat of artificial intelligence, has brought Hollywood production to a halt.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS WILL meet with writers this week to discuss reopening talks for the first time since a strike began nearly 100 days ago.

The Writers Guild of America (WGA) walkout, which kicked off 2 May over pay and the threat of artificial intelligence, has brought US film and television production to a halt.

Writers have been joined on the picket lines since last month by the much larger Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) – including A-list stars such as Sean Penn – ramping up pressure on the likes of Disney and Netflix to return to negotiations.

Studios “reached out to the WGA today and requested a meeting this Friday to discuss negotiations,” the union said in an email to members on Tuesday.

We’ll be back in communication with you sometime after the meeting with further information.”

The first Hollywood “double strike” by writers and actors in six decades has meant movie productions are shut down, glitzy premieres are scrapped, and events such as the Emmys are delayed as stars are banned from promoting TV shows.

The strikes are costing the entertainment industry and the California economy several million dollars per day.

Writers are demanding higher pay and a greater share of profits from the boom in streaming, while studios say they must cut costs to cope with economic pressures.

Other major disagreements include the growing trend for TV shows to hire fewer writers, for shorter durations, to script series – and studios’ refusal to offer protection against the future use of artificial intelligence in writing.

While writers appear poised to return to talks, actors remains at an impasse with studios, which are represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP).

“We have not heard from the AMPTP since 12 July when they told us they would not be willing to continue talks for quite some” time, SAG-AFTRA chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland told trade outlet Deadline on Wednesday.

Last week, the 75th Emmy Awards, that were due to be held in September, were postponed due to the strikes which have seen many actors, including Irish Oppenheimer star Cillian Murphy, stage walk-outs and protests around the prestigious city.

© AFP 2023

Your Voice
Readers Comments
9
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel