This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 23 °C Tuesday 4 August, 2020
Advertisement

Family home gutted after hoverboard fire in Australia

The blaze began while the device was plugged in to charge.

Image: Stephen Brashear/PA Wire

rAN AUSTRALIAN FAMILY home was gutted when a hoverboard caught fire as it was charging, officials have said.

Authorities said the hoverboard – a Christmas gift – was plugged into the wall in a young girl’s bedroom in Melbourne when it ignited.

The family was able to escape after a smoke alarm alerted them to the danger but the house was severely damaged.

Hoverboards – in reality self-balancing electric scooters – have surged in popularity and are now selling in Australia for as little as Aus$200 (€138).

But concerns have arisen about the hazard they pose for street or sidewalk traffic, safety issues for riders, and reports that some poorly designed chargers can lead to fires.

In December the Australian consumer watchdog said it had two safety concerns with the products – fires that have occurred overseas from the faulty design of some hoverboard chargers and user injuries by falls.

Hollywood star Russell Crowe was recently blocked from taking a hoverboard on a Virgin Australia flight, while several other airlines do not allow them.

The girl’s father, Ash Ibraheim, said he had made sure the hoverboards he bought three of his four daughters for Christmas met Australian standards.

“We heard there were a lot of imported versions that weren’t complying, so we wanted to make sure we got the right thing,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

He said he was grateful that the fire, which was sparked about 10 minutes after the board had been plugged in to charge, did not start when the girls were sleeping.

“By the time the fire brigade came the whole house was on fire,” he said.

- © AFP, 2016

Read: This is the closest thing you’re going to get to a real-life hoverboard

Also: A priest got in trouble for riding his hoverboard at Christmas Mass

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (23)