We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A police officer holds a Taser gun. Ben Birchall/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Investigation launched over death of man Tasered by police

It is believed the man who was shot with a Taser gun was also suffering from self-inflicted stab wounds. The death is the third in eight days connected to police use of Tasers and pepper-spray in the UK.

AN INVESTIGATION HAS been launched into the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in the UK who died after being shot with a Taser gun by police.

Philip Hulmes, 53, was hit with electric probes from the stun gun last night after police were called to his home on Salford Road, in Over Hulton, near Bolton, Greater Manchester.

Police had been called to the house by Hulmes’ daughter, who said that he had locked himself in the house and was armed with a knife, reports Manchester Evening News. Hulmes was reportedly making threats and had begun to stab himself.

When officers could not persuade him to leave the house, they used a Taser gun to stun him.

Hulmes was then taken to the Royal Botlon Hospital where he died about half an hour later, reports the Guardian.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out later today.

A spokesperson for the police said: “Police attended and the officers were threatened by the man. The officers then gained entry to the house and deployed a Taser. After it was deployed, it became apparent he had a serious self-inflicted stab wound to his abdomen.”

The spokesperson added that the coroner had been informed about the circumstances leading up to Hulmes’ death and that an investigation was underway.

Hulmes’ death is the third in eight days connected to police use of Tasers and pepper-spray in the UK.

Last week, 27-year old Dale Burns died after being tasered by police in Barrow-in-Furness, in Cumbria.

Another man died in police custody in Widnes, Cheshire, after being pepper-sprayed on Monday evening. It is understood that the spray was administered when 25-year-old Jacob Michael resisted arrest.

Read: Man dies in England after being shot with a Taser by police>

Read: Man dies following police pepper spray use in England>

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.