#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16°C Thursday 24 June 2021
Advertisement

One snake dies after fire at National Reptile Zoo in Kilkenny

The fire is believed to have started after an electrical fault.

File photo
File photo
Image: Shutterstock/Kaliva

A FIRE AT the National Reptile Zoo in Kilkenny this morning has killed one snake, and forced the venue to close for the day.

The fire started at around 9.30am this morning, and it’s believed it was caused by an electrical fault in a heating system.

The zoo’s director James Hennessy worked with fire crews to remove the animals from the area, but the fire left one snake dead and a number of reptiles injured.

A large volume of anti-venom stock was also destroyed in the blaze, and the zoo is one of the few places to hold a licence for anti-venom in the country.

Hennessy told KilkennyNow that he hopes to reopen the zoo – based in Gowran – tomorrow.

He said: “It’s obviously been a very difficult day but thankfully the fire was contained in a restricted area.”

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The zoo opens seven days a week from 10am to 6pm, and hosts over 50 exhibits. It also supports projects at home and abroad for the conservation of reptiles.

It has increased its visitor numbers in the past decade – more than doubling to well over 30,000 a year.

About the author:

Sean Murray

Read next:

COMMENTS (19)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel