#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 9°C Saturday 26 September 2020
Advertisement

Lockerbie bomber dies in Libya: report

The only person convicted of the PanAm bombing which killed 270 people has reportedly died today.

Abdel Basset al-Megrahi greeted by Seif al-Islam Gaddafi at Tripoli airport in 2009.
Abdel Basset al-Megrahi greeted by Seif al-Islam Gaddafi at Tripoli airport in 2009.
Image: AP Photo/PA

THE MAN CONVICTED of the Lockerbie bombing and granted early release from a Scottish prison on compassionate grounds has died in Libya, according to Reuters.

Abdel Basset al-Megrahi was jailed in 2001 for the bombing of a PanAm plane above Lockerbie, Scotland which killed 270 people in 1988. He repeatedly denied he was involved in the attack.

He was released from prison in 2009 on compassionate grounds when suffering from prostate cancer after reportedly being diagnosed with just months to live.

Upon his arrival in Libya, he was greeted by Muammar Gaddafi’s son Seif al-Islam Gaddafi. Thousands of people had gathered at the Tripoli airport to welcome him.

Before his release, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission said there were six grounds for believing a miscarriage of justice may have occurred over Megrahi’s conviction. However, it said that an appeals court must decide whether that was the case. Megrahi dropped his appeal shortly before being released from prison.

His family said that his health had deteriorated after his return home and that he had been in and out of a coma for several months before his death. His brother Abdulkahim has told news agencies that he passed away today.

Father of Lockerbie victim meets Megrahi in Libya >

Read next:

COMMENTS (19)