Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 24 Sep 2025
MARIA STEEN’S BID for the Áras has ended in disappointment as the conservative activist missed out on nominations to get on the ballot.
Her campaign succeeded in only getting 18 signatures from TDs and senators, falling short of the 20 needed.
The last time there were only three candidates standing for president was during the 1990 election.
Speaking to reporters outside Leinster House, Steen said she believed there was a “hunger for an alternative candidate” in the election.
“My effort to make the ballot has not been successful but I do not feel like I have lost,” Steen said.
“I have the privilege of returning to life at home with a wonderful family,” she added, paying thanks to her husband Neil and their five children.
To be eligible to run, a candidate must be over the age of 35 and have been nominated either by 20 members of the Oireachtas or four local authorities.
No candidate was successful through the local authority route after most councils decided not to nominate any candidate, with the majority of councillors from the largest parties opposing independent hopefuls.
Gareth Sheridan, who bowed out of the campaign earlier this week after picking up two council nominations, hit out at the efforts by Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael to prevent other candidates entering the race.
In a statement this afternoon, Sheridan said that he believes a “well-orchestrated government campaign” to block candidates will only “undermine” the authority of the presidency.
“The damage is done. There will be an underwhelmingly low turnout,” Sheridan said.
Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín, who had backed Steen, claimed this morning that there would be a “democratic deficit” if the number of candidates in the field is the “narrowest field” for a generation.
Steen’s failure came despite her campaign receiving a late boost this morning ahead of a midday deadline to get on the ballot, after independent senator Aubrey McCarthy confirmed he had decided to nominate her.
McCarthy’s nomination brought Steen’s total to 18 members of the Oireachtas, but she still needed the signatures of another two TDs or senators by 11am in order to get on the ballot.
McCarthy stressed that his nomination of Steen was “not an endorsement” of her.
On yesterday’s Six One News, Steen admitted that time was running out for her to get the required 20 signatures needed ahead of this afternoon’s deadline.
Meanwhile, speaking at a press conference in Dublin, Lord of the Dance star Michael Flatley told reporters that he would pursued a spot on the ballot had it not been for health concerns.
Speaking at a celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Lord of the Dance, Michael Flatley said that he ruled himself out of the running for the Presidency due to a recent health scare.
— Andrew Walsh (@AndyBreathnach) September 24, 2025
"If I didn't have that, it might have been different" @thejournal_ie pic.twitter.com/puUOZ2SDRF
It leaves three candidates in the race.
Fianna Fail candidate Jim Gavin and Fine Gael’s Heather Humphreys filed their nomination papers on Friday.
Independent candidate Catherine Connolly, who is supported by left-wing parties Sinn Fein, Social Democrats, Labour, People Before Profit and the Greens, submitted the documentation yesterday.
Polling day is Friday 24 October.
- Contains reporting from David Mac Redmond and PA.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say