Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Wednesday 6 December 2023 Dublin: 4°C
Sergio Fernandez via Flickr/Creative Commons Matthew Sheridan is a medical student at NUI Galway.

Student whose Halloween costume catches fire "highly motivated, respected"

NUI Galway releases statement on popular student who is still in critical condition in hospital.

NUI GALWAY, THE university attended by Matthew Sheridan, whose Halloween costume caught fire at a Galway nightclub on Wednesday, has said that the student is a “highly motivated, respected” young man who is “well-loved by his classmates and peers”.

The university released the statement to press in the aftermath of the incident at the Halo nightclub where the Dublin native’s costume went on fire on a Halloween night out. The medical student is being treated in hospital where he is still believed to be in a critical condition.

Halo nightclub cancelled an event that was due to be held at the venue at Upper Abbeygate Street last night. It announced on its Facebook page yesterday afternoon:

The club could not be contacted this morning for comment.

NUI Galway said that its thoughts were with Matthew, who is 21, and his family “in this very difficult situation”.

Gardai are still investigating the incident. A Garda spokesperson said yesterday that the student had suffered serious burns in the fire.

Man in critical condition after Halloween costume caught fire>

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.