We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A pair of Nike shoes and Hugo Boss clothing including jeans, shirts, a coat and a bag as stolen goods are recovered by Metropolitan Police officers after carrying out a raid on a property in Pimlico, London. Anthony Devlin/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Mother sees daughter rioting on TV - and calls the police

Courts have been open around the clock as justice is meted out to those involved in the riots earlier this week.

THE PARENTS OF a talented athlete got quite the shock when they watched TV footage of the rioting – and recognised their daughter.

Chelsea Ives (18), was a teenage Olympics 2012 ambassador but is accused of hurling masonry at a Phones4U shop during the riots.

Her mother spotted her on television and called the police.

Adrienne Ives told the Evening Standard that the decision was “gut wrenching” but she “had to do what was right”.

Ives denied two charges of burglary, violent disorder and attacking a police car.

Ives was one of many teens who appeared in court over the past 24-hours in London, Manchester and the West Midlands.

Police have been broadcasting photographs of suspects on large-screen televisions in Birmingham city centre today. Picture via Lisa Dowd of Sky News.

There was little leniency in the courts as strong sentences were given to people involved in the unrest.

One 23-year-old was given a six-month jail sentence after being found guilty of stealing a case of water worth €3.50 from Lidl.

Another young man received a 16-weeks sentence for using threatening or abusive behaviour towards a police officer.

One woman, a social worker, handed herself into police after stealing a television, the Evening Standard reports.

Bernard Moore (45), of Monsall, Manchester, received a 20-week jail sentence for trying to gouge out the eyes of a police officer.

Greater Manchester Police has kept a running stream of tweets about those sentenced via its Twitter feed.

They showed some unusual items were stolen:

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.