We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

File photo Shutterstock/Svetlana Valoueva

Prize-winning Irish Setter 'was poisoned in Belgium, not at Crufts'

Jagger’s death prompted widespread speculation about dirty tricks at the dog show.

A PRIZE WINNING Irish Setter who died after competing in Crufts was not poisoned at the British dog show but on his return home to Belgium, organisers have said.

The Kennel Club, which runs Crufts, said toxicology tests on Jagger showed he died earlier this month after ingesting a fast-acting insecticide that is banned in the European Union.

Club Secretary Caroline Kisko said investigations had also revealed no basis for rumours that five more dogs have been poisoned at the show, which has run since 1891.

“There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog lovers who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible,” she said in a statement.

It is highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger’s death.

His death prompted widespread speculation about dirty tricks and the fierce competition at Crufts, where the paltry prize winnings are dwarfed by the large sums that owners can earn by breeding top ranked dogs.

But the Kennel Club insisted that reports in the media of widespread poisonings were way off the mark.

“Absolutely no dog has been shown to have been sick at or after Crufts due to poison ingested at the show, there are no veterinary reports or evidence to support this notion, and no official reports of poisoning have been made to the police,” Kisko said.

Jagger, who is co-owned by a British and Belgian team, died late on March 6 after ingesting two toxic carbamate pesticides, carbofuran and aldicarb, the club said.

Symptoms appear within hours and therefore “it is inconceivable that he could have been poisoned at Crufts on Thursday 5th March, some 28 to 36 hours earlier”, it said.

“Regardless of the fact that the poison was not ingested at Crufts a dog has very sadly died and we must now respect the owners’ privacy and give them time to grieve.”

- © AFP, 2015

Read: Irish Red Setter dies after Crufts, as owners claim he was poisoned >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.