#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17°C Tuesday 26 October 2021
Advertisement

Rolf Harris in court on 8 charges of indecent assault

The 85-year-old former TV star pleaded not guilty.

Image: AP/Press Association Images

AUSTRALIAN ENTERTAINER ROLF Harris has appeared, via video link, in court, charged with multiple cases of indecent assault.

The 85-year-old pleaded not guilty to the eight counts which date from 1971 to 2004, BBC News reports.

On announcing the charges last month, the Crown Prosecution Service said the seven complainants were aged between 12 and 27 at the time of the alleged incidents.

A spokesperson said that it was in the public interest for Harris to be charged.

“We have carefully considered the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police Service as part of Operation Yewtree in relation to Rolf Harris,” they said.

“Having completed our review…. we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Harris to be charged with seven counts of indecent assault.”

Comments are disabled as legal proceedings are ongoing. 

Read next:

COMMENTS