#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Tuesday 19 October 2021
Advertisement

Updated: Ballistic missilies fired in Mediterranean was US-Israel drill

Russia’s Defence Ministry detected ‘ballistic objects’ being launched in the area this morning.

A computer screen at the missile defense facility in Sofrino near Moscow. (File photo)
A computer screen at the missile defense facility in Sofrino near Moscow. (File photo)
Image: AP Photo/Mikhail Metzel

Updated 11:57

BALLISTIC OBJECTS DETECTED by Russia’s Defence Ministry earlier this morning was an US-Israeli missile drill, Israeli media reports.

The reports said Ankor-type missiles were directed from bases in the Mediterranean and in the centre of Israel.

Russia’s missile warning radars detected the launch at 06:16 GMT, the defence ministry said in a statement quoted by news agencies.

image

(Source: Twitter)

Israeli military previously denied any knowledge of the launch.

Both rockets have allegedly fallen into the sea however according to the RIA Novosti news agency.

The Syrian embassy in Moscow has told both news outlets that it has no information on the incident.

CBS News tweeted that US officials have denied that any of their ships or planes in the mediterranean fired any missiles. NATO has said that it is investigating the reports before it issues any further comment.

image

(Source: Twitter)

- Additional reporting from © AFP, 2013

Read: Number of Syrian refugees passes 2 million mark >

Read: John Kerry: US has evidence sarin nerve gas was used in Syria >

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (56)