#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 5°C Friday 21 January 2022
Advertisement

Six arrested after Belfast riots

The PSNI says an investigation is ongoing into last week’s events, which saw a number of people injured and a photographer shot in the leg.

A rioter throws a petrol bomb towards the Nationalist Short Strand area of East Belfast last Tuesday night
A rioter throws a petrol bomb towards the Nationalist Short Strand area of East Belfast last Tuesday night
Image: AP Photo/Peter Morrison

SIX PEOPLE HAVE now been arrested in connection with rioting that took place in Belfast last week. Police in the North say an investigation into the incidents is continuing, and have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

The disturbances took place over two nights in East Belfast last Monday and Tuesday. Press Association photographer Niall Carson was shot in the leg, a number of people were injured and substantial damage was done to properties in the area.

A 22-year-old man from West Belfast was arrested on Wednesday 22 June under the Terrorism Act, while on 23 June a 28-year-old man, also from West Belfast was arrested under the same act. The PSNI said that both have since been released unconditionally.

A teenager was arrested on 24 June on suspicion of rioting, while on Monday 27 June two men were arrested for what the PSNI has described as “riotous behaviour”. One has been released on bail pending further inquiries, while the other was charged and will appear before Belfast Magistrates Court on 22 July.

Yesterday another man was arrested for riotous and disorderly behaviour, and he will appear in court on 21 July.

Read more: UVF blamed for Belfast violence as police fear further tensions>

About the author:

Emer McLysaght

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)