Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 13°C Tuesday 9 August 2022
Advertisement

Russian Black Sea flagship sinks after Kyiv claims missile hit

The guided missile cruiser Moskva had been leading Russia’s naval effort against Ukraine in the seven-week conflict.

A satellite image of the Moskva at port in Crimea on 7 April 2022.
A satellite image of the Moskva at port in Crimea on 7 April 2022.

RUSSIA’S BLACK SEA flagship sank after it was engulfed in an inferno that Ukraine said broke out in a missile strike – as the Kremlin complained that Kyiv was targeting its citizens in sorties across the border.

The guided missile cruiser Moskva had been leading Russia’s naval effort against its neighbour in the seven-week conflict, in which civilian killings have sparked accusations of genocide.

“While being towed… towards the destined port, the vessel lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull as fire broke out after ammunition exploded,” the Russian state news agency TASS quoted the ministry as saying.

“Given the choppy seas, the vessel sank.”

Russian state media had not mentioned a rocket attack when quoting the ministry earlier as saying the Moskva was “seriously damaged” by the explosion and ensuing fire, forcing an evacuation.

But Odessa military spokesman Sergey Bratchuk said the ship was damaged by “Neptune domestic cruise missiles”, in an account largely echoed by the regional governor.

russia-ukraine-war The Russian missile cruiser Moskva, the flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet is seen anchored in the Black Sea port of Sevastopol. Source: AP/PA Images

A Pentagon spokesperson today said that the sinking of the warship was a “big blow” to Russia’s naval strength in the Black Sea.

“This is a big blow to the Black Sea fleet, this is… a key part of their efforts to execute some sort of naval dominance in the Black Sea,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told CNN.

“This is going to have an effect on their capabilities.”

Kirby said the United States could not confirm the exact cause of the ship’s demise.

“We’re also not in any position to refute the Ukrainian side of this,” he added. “It’s certainly plausible and possible that they did in fact hit this with a Neptune missile or maybe more.”

Meanwhile, in Ukraine’s east and south, civilian evacuations had been set to resume Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said, after a day-long pause that Kyiv blamed on Russian shelling.

More than 4.7 million Ukrainians have fled their country in the 50 days since Russia invaded, the United Nations said.

The flagship fire came after the United States unveiled an $800-million military aid package that includes heavy equipment specifically tailored to help Ukraine repel the Russians in the east, from howitzers to armoured personnel carriers and helicopters.

Following its pullout from northern Ukraine earlier this month after failing to take the capital, Russia is refocusing on the east, with Kyiv warning of bloody new clashes to come in the Donbas region.

‘No electricity, no water’

Seizing Donbas, where Russian-backed separatists control the Donetsk and Lugansk areas, would allow Moscow to create a southern corridor to the occupied Crimean peninsula.

But rain that has been battering the region for days could favor Ukraine in its fight against invading Russian forces, a senior Pentagon official said today.

“The fact that the ground is softer will make it harder for them to do anything off of paved highways,” said the official, who spoke under condition of anonymity.

Moscow’s Black Sea fleet has been blockading the besieged southern port city of Mariupol, where Russian officials say they are in full control.

In what appeared to be its first official accusation of abuses targeting Russians, the Kremlin said at least six air strikes had hit residential buildings in the border region of Bryansk, wounding seven people including a toddler.

“Using two military helicopters carrying heavy weaponry, Ukrainian armed forces illegally entered Russian air space,” Russia’s Investigative Committee said in a statement that could not be immediately verified.

Russia sparked fears of a return to conflict around Kyiv on Wednesday when it threatened to attack the capital’s strike command centres in retaliation for any strikes on Russian soil.

But in eastern Ukraine, civilians say they have “no rest” from bombardment, including in Severodonetsk, the last easterly city still held by Ukrainian forces.

Now little more than a ghost town, the settlement just kilometres from the front line has already buried 400 civilians, according to Lugansk regional governor Sergiy Gaiday.

“There’s no electricity, no water,” Maria, who lives with her husband and mother-in-law, told AFP amid a din of shelling that she said never stops.

“But I prefer to stay here, at home. If we leave, where will we go?”

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

‘Nobody remembers us’

Tamara Yakovenko, 61, and her 83-year-old mother had decided to run the risk of fleeing Severodonetsk, where “every 10 or 15 minutes there are bombings”.

“We used to receive humanitarian aid, but now nobody remembers us. Some people try to cook outside on a fire… And boom, boom… everyone has to run back to the basement,” Yakovenko said.

“All night until morning, there is no rest.”

Beyond the humanitarian crisis, the war’s economic consequences — primarily surging food and fuel prices — were “hitting hardest the world’s most vulnerable people,” IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva warned in Washington.

The United Nations announced the release of $100 million to fight hunger in Yemen and six African countries at risk of famine due to the war disrupting food supply chains.

“Hundreds of thousands of children are going to sleep hungry every night while their parents are worried sick about how to feed them,” said UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths.

“A war halfway around the world makes their prospects even worse. This allocation will save lives.”

Investigators have descended on areas around Kyiv previously occupied by Russian forces, looking into reports of war crimes that Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed as “fakes”.

The atrocities – some of which were witnessed by AFP – have led Biden to accuse Putin of genocide, a term key European partners including France and Germany have hesitated to use.

The French government, which has allocated 100 million euros for humanitarian support to victims of the conflict, said its embassy would return “very soon” to Kyiv from the western city of Lviv, where it had been relocated after the invasion.

© AFP 2022

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel