IF A WEEK is a long time in politics, try a year.
Today marks a year to the day since Fine Gael and Labour took their seats in the 31st Dáil. We’ve marked the occasion here at TheJournal.ie with a detailed report card on how the Government performed in 20 policy areas. We’ve also:
- charted the peaks and troughs of public opinion on the various political parties over the year in a series of graphs
- with the help of O’Leary Analytics, looked at what political figures dominated media coverage in the year
- brought you the Taoiseach’s One Year In Office video message
- reminded you of the issues that trended on social media in the political year
- asked you to grade the Government from A to N.G. on their performance
In the course of our analysis, we realised that this past year in politics has thrown up some strange anomalies. Here are 12 things we didn’t think about much 12 months ago… but we do now: