A TEENAGER WHO was hospitalised after taking a new psychoactive drug in Cork city earlier this week has died.
The 18-year-old, named locally as Alex Ryan from Millstreet, had been critically ill since being hospitalised.
He was among six people, aged from 18 to 37, taken to Cork University Hospital after taking the synthetic drug 25I-NBOMe at a house party in the Greenmount area of the city on Monday.
It’s understood that the man who has died was the only one of the six who had consumed the drug by snorting it as opposed to ingestion.
The young man’s family have appealed for privacy via a HSE spokesperson in the wake of his death.
A 28-year-old man was arrested during the week in connection with the supply of the ‘designer drug’ to the affected people.
He was released without charge, while a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) with regard to the case.
25I-NBOMe, colloquially known as an ‘n-bomb’, is a controlled substance under the Misuse of Drugs Act.
It mimics the effects of LSD and metamphetamine, and can have “serious side effects” according to the HSE, including paranoia, hallucinations, gastrointestinal effects and kidney problems.
Originally published at 17.04