Updated at 8:40pm
THE NATIONAL LOTTERY has confirmed that it has been contacted by the winner(s) of Friday’s €66 million EuroMillions jackpot.
A spokesperson for the Lotto confirmed that contact was made with the winners before close of business today.
“I can confirm they made contact just before close of business,” said the spokesperson.
The winner has been given preliminary advice with regard to how they should approach their winnings.
It remains unclear at this stage as to whether or not the person (or persons) will go public with their identity.
A spokesperson for the organisation told TheJournal.ie earlier that they are not sure if an individual or group of people is going to claim the money.
Amid much speculation, they said they don’t give out details of where the winning tickets of particularly large jackpots are sold.
This is to “give players a bit of space to get used to the idea, and talk to family and friends without too much attention on the particular area where the ticket is sold”.
The spokesperson added that whoever has the winning ticket should sign it on the back. This would mean several signatures in the case of a syndicate.
They added that the ticket should then be stored in a safe place until the winner(s) can come to Dublin to claim the money, something they should do “as soon as possible”.
If the person with the winning ticket is overwhelmed by the news, the spokesperson added that they can contact the National Lottery to discuss the situation confidentially.
We’re more than happy to have a chat… It’s a huge surprise but a fantastic surprise in the long-term for whoever has won this.
On Friday, it emerged that the overall jackpot of €132,376,632 would be split between two winners, one in Ireland and one in France.
The winner had 90 days to claim the prize.
With reporting from Cormac Fitzgerald