CHRISTMAS IS OVER.
Yep, sorry to break the bad news but it really is time to take the decorations down, pack them away and get the tree out of the house.
But where to put it? Well thankfully many local authorities are offering to recycle your Christmas tree and are opening drop-off depots across Ireland for your to bring your tree and, er, drop it off.
We’ll start with Dublin where there are 11 locations in the city that have been open since Thursday and will stay open until 22 January. The service is free.
- Windmill Road Bring Centre, Crumlin, Dublin 12
- Car park on Clontarf Road beside former Traffic School, Clontarf, Dublin 3.
- Gulistan Terrace Bring Centre, Rathmines, Dublin 6
- Albert College Car Park, Glasnevin, Dublin 9
- Oscar Traynor Road Bring Centre, Coolock, Dublin 5
- Mellowes Park Depot, beside Dublin City Council Civic Centre, Mellowes Road, Finglas on Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm and Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 4pm.
- Pigeon House Road Recycling Centre, Ringsend, Dublin 4
- Walkinstown Green at Church, Bunting Park, Dublin 12
- Milltown Car Park, Milltown Road, Dublin 6
- Car Park at Martello Tower, Strand Road, Sandymount, Dublin 4
- Croke Park, Cusack Stand, Dublin 1 via St.Joseph’s Avenue. This depot also accepts WEE domestic and cardboard recycling and is open from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm and Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 4pm between from 3 – 19 January only.
In Cork, local civic amenity sites throughout the county are accepting used Christmas trees free of charge from 7-31 January. The county council says that collected trees will be shredded and turned into compost:
- Clonakilty CA (Civic Amenity) Site
- Derryconnell CA site
- Castletownbere CA Site
- Dunmanway Bring Site
- Skibbereen Bring Site
- Bantry Bring Site
- Macroom CA Site
- Millstreet CA Site
- Bandon CA Site
- Kanturk CA Site
- Mallow CA Site
- Raffeen CA Site
- Rossmore CA Site (near Carrigtwohill)
- Youghal CA Site
The council also warns that depositing trees at unapproved locations is an offence which can carry a fine of up to €150.
In Galway, the county council is running a Christmas tree recycling service between normal working hours from 7 January to 15 January:
- Athenry: Waste Water Treatment Plant, Prospect, Athenry
- Ballinasloe: Canal Drive, Ballinasloe
- Clifden: Ball Alley, Beach Road
- An Cheathrú Rua: Oibrí Uisce -Water Works
- Gort: Council Yard, Georges St.
- Loughrea: The Pound in the Fairgreen
- Mountbellew: Black Quarry, Mountbellew – Ballinasloe Road (near the 50Km speed limit sign)
- Milltown: Galway County Council Office, Milltown
- Oughterard: Car Park, Oughterard
- Moycullen: Council Site on Mountain Road (400 metres up Moycullen – An Spidéal Road on the right)
- Portumna: Council Yard (Chip depot, St. Brigid’s Road)
- Tuam: Recycling Centre, Athenry Road
- Headford: Council Yard beside Mart
- Oranmore: Waste Water Pumping Station, Coast Road
In Kilkenny there are four collection points for you to recycle your Christmas tree. These have been open since Friday and will run until 14 January when all sites will be cleared:
- Fair Green, Callan
- Dunmore Waste Disposal and Recycling Centre(During Normal Opening Hours Only)
- Fair Green Car Park, Graiguenamanagh
- Adjacent to the Bottle Banks in Bennettsbridge
- Quay Car Park, Thomastown
- Entrance to Assumption Place, Urlingford
- The Square, Freshford
- Fair Green, Ballyragget
- Castlecomer Council Yard, Donaguile
- Mooncoin, outside the new graveyard
- Piltown Pound Car Park, Piltown
In Donegal ‘natural Christmas tree recycling locations’ are available across the county until 25 January for domestic trees only. Here are the locations:
- Carndonagh Recycling Centre
- UDC Offices, Buncrana
- Council Chip Depot, Moville
- Council Chip Depot, Newtowncunningham
- Letterkenny Recycling Centre
- Council Machinery Yard, Lifford
- Milford Recycling Centre
- Council Yard, Gortnamucklagh, Glenties
- Dungloe Recycling Centre
- Council Chip Yard, Coshclady, Bunbeg
- Kilult Quarry, Falcarragh
- Stranorlar Recycling Centre
- Council Yard, Bridge Street, Killybegs
- Laghey Recycling Centre
- Council Yard, The Rock, Ballyshannon
- Sea Front Car Park , Bundoran
For more information on opening hours click here.
In North Tipperary the county council has said there are four spots for recycling your Christmas tree:
- Recycling Centre, Nenagh during opening hours from 8 to 26 January inclusive
- Civic Amenity Site, Roscrea during opening hours from 10 to 26 January inclusive
- Parnell Street Carpark, Thurles in specified areas on Saturday, 12 January and Saturday, 19 January
- Town Park in Templemore in specified areas on Saturday, 19 January
In Wicklow there are a total of ten recycling spots for you to bring your Christmas tree between now and 19 January including Arklow, Aughrim, Avoca, Baltinglass, Blessington, Bray, Greystones, and Wicklow town. For full details click here.
In Waterford you can bring your Christmas tree to the county council’s Civic Amenity Site in Ballinamuck, Dungarvan where it will be recycled free of charge.
Only real Christmas trees that are free of lights and decorations will be accepted and this offer is open until 1 February. The site is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 1pm and 1.30pm and 5pm as well as Saturday between 9am and 1pm.
If we’ve not covered them here, you can find out information about Christmas tree recycling depots in your area on the Repak website or get in touch with your local authority.
Happy New Year!