TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 2 °C Tuesday 12 December, 2017
Advertisement

Conor McGregor appears in court on speeding charge, tells judge he earns '€140 million'

The MMA fighter was ordered to appear in court after his solicitor addressed the court this morning.

Updated at 1.10pm 

Conor McGregor court case Source: Niall Carson via PA Images

MMA FIGHTER CONOR McGregor has appeared in court and pleaded guilty to a speeding charge.

The 29-year-old UFC champion appeared at Blanchardstown District Court this afternoon to face the alleged offence of speeding on 31 March on Dublin’s Naas Road.

McGregor pleaded guilty to driving at a speed of 150km/h in a 100km/h zone.

A garda told the court that a notification of a fine had been issued to McGregor on 5 April but he had failed to pay it.

Speaking to Judge Miriam Walsh, McGregor pleaded guilty to the speeding offence and said he couldn’t remember whether he paid the fine on 5 April.

“What I heard was that I tried my best to pay for it,” McGregor said.

I attempted to pay it. I don’t know… it didn’t pay and that’s it.

Judge Walsh asked McGregor:

“I have to ask you the question… How much do you earn…? Please don’t tell me you earn more than €110 million in a day?”

Laughing, he said: “€140 million.”

https://twitter.com/HayleyHalpin1/status/936213387045982208

Judge Walsh said that, taking McGregor’s guilty plea into account, she would convict him and impose a fine of €400.

McGregor was given two months to pay the fine, which Judge Walsh said he “can pay in instalments”.

McGregor said:

I apologise and I want to show my respect by showing up today. I apologise.

Judges in cases where a fine is imposed regularly ask how much a person earns. McGregor earned a reported €110 million from his recent Las Vegas boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather – which was, perhaps, what the judge was referencing.

Conor McGregor court case Source: Niall Carson via PA Images

Adjourned twice 

The case had previously been adjourned on two previous dates as McGregor failed to appear on both occasions.

McGregor also failed to appear this morning and the case was adjourned until he appeared in the court.

This morning, solicitor Graham Kenny told the court he was representing McGregor. Kenny said McGregor accepted the fine and pleaded guilty to the speeding offence.

The judge refused to accept Kenny’s guilty plea on behalf of McGregor as he wasn’t present. The MMA fighter showed up at around 12.15pm.

“This is like a broken record,” Judge Miriam Walsh McGregor said earlier, noting that it was McGregor’s third time failing to attend the courtroom.

Read: Aung San Suu Kyi is one step closer to having her Freedom of Dublin stripped >

Read: Simon Coveney has been announced as the new Tánaiste >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (92)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel

Trending Tags