TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 12 °C Saturday 25 October, 2014

Natural gas leak ruled out in death of Stoneybatter couple

Bord Gais says there is no evidence of a natural gas leak at the home of a Stoneybatter couple found dead this afternoon.

A garda stands watch outside the house in Stoneybatter where the couple were found dead this lunchtime.
A garda stands watch outside the house in Stoneybatter where the couple were found dead this lunchtime.
Image: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland

Updated, 20:58

BORD GAIS has ruled out the possibility of a gas leak having caused the death of a couple who were found dead at their home in central Dublin this lunchtime.

The pair – a man aged in his 60s, and a woman whose age has not yet been determined by Gardaí – were found at their property in Drumalee Court, Stoneybatter at around 12:30pm today.

Their bodies have now been removed from the scene with a postmortem expected to be carried out tomorrow.

Gardaí have been examining the possibility that the pair had succumbed to a gas leak, but this evening Bord Gais Networks said it had attended the scene and found “no evidence of a natural gas leak at this or adjoining properties”.

There had been no consumption of natural gas at the property for “a number of years”, it said.

It remains possible, however, that the couple may have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning or similar circumstances.

Read: Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week – here’s what you need to know >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (25 Comments)

Add New Comment