This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 19 °C Friday 25 May, 2018
Advertisement

'I can't deal with this anymore': Mother-of-two shares footage of rat infestation in council house

Denise Gibson said she has been dealing with this problem for the last four years.

Source: TheJournal.ie/YouTube

A MOTHER OF two in Donegal has said her children are unable to sleep at night after rats got into her daughter’s bedroom.

Denise Gibson from Manorcunningham has been dealing with a rat infestation at her council house for the last four years. Speaking to TheJournal.ie, she said she had tried everything over the years to try to get rid of the rodents but they kept coming back.

“They got into the kitchen this time last year, but now they’ve been in our girl’s room,” she said. Gibson said her five and seven-year-old daughters are not sleeping at night.

It’s really affected them. They’re only getting to sleep at four or five in the morning and then they’re up at seven for school. All they want to do during the day in school then is sleep.

She said she and her partner have contacted the council numerous times over the last four years about the problem.

“I don’t know how many times now we’ve asked to get it sorted and it has not been,” she said.

In a Facebook post, with a video of a number of rats in her back garden, the mother-of-two said she “can’t deal with this anymore”. She said she had asked to be moved out of the house, and with private rent so expensive now, the family “have nowhere else to go to”.

In a statement the council said:

“Donegal County Council can confirm that there was an issue in this area with vermin and the council has carried out substantial works to address this issue and continues to monitor this area on an ongoing basis.

“The most recent inspection this morning by a specialised pest control contractor confirmed that there was no evidence of rodents in the bait boxes in the property in question (external or attic). The council will continue to monitor this matter.”

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (81)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel