uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 14 °C Saturday 21 April, 2018

Hospital apologises for death of 8-year-old boy

Richard De Souza presented to the Midland Regional Hospital in Portlaoise with chicken pox in 2011. He was discharged but died 18 hours later.

Image: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland

THE MIDLAND REGIONAL Hospital in Portlaoise has apologised to the parents of an eight-year-old boy who died just 18 hours after being discharged from its Emergency Department.

The HSE confirmed that an apology had been read out in the High Court today, and that the case with Richard De Souza’s parents had been settled.

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom, solicitor Ann Nolan said the family still has a lot of questions about their son’s treatment as they believe his death could have been prevented.

Nolan noted that it has been a “troubling and difficult time” for Ramon and Flavia De Souza, adding that Richard’s death has had a devastating effect on the Brazilian community in Ireland.

According to RTÉ’s News at One, Justice Mary Irvine approved a settlement of €160,000 in an action taken by the family for wrongful death and nervous shock.

The court heard that Richard died from toxic shock after developing a secondary, streptococcal infection. He had initially presented to the hospital because he was suffering from chicken pox.

The family live in Athy, county Kildare where Ramon works as a jockey.

Read: More than €45m paid out to patients injured in HSE hospitals

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel