Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
SEARCHES ARE CONTINUING in New York for a missing 30-year-old man, who hasn’t been seen since entering the sea early on Monday morning.
The man is believed to be from Limerick, according to the Limerick Leader, and had reportedly been living in the borough of Brooklyn.
He had entered the waters off the coast of Long Island with two friends at 2am US time (7am Irish time) on Monday morning.
The US Coast Guard has said it has made the “difficult decision” to suspend the search.
“After searching extensively throughout the night and daylight hours, in coordination with our partner agencies, we have made the difficult decision to suspend our search,” said Commander Andrew Ely, chief of response for Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound, told the New York Post.
Rescuers had covered more than 650 miles during a 29-hour search but had been unable to locate the missing man.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said it “cannot comment on individual consular cases”.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say