TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 10 °C Saturday 25 October, 2014

Norway terror case indicates Breivik is ‘insane’, says lawyer

Anders Behring Breivik may face charges of crimes against humanity, for which he could receive a 30-year sentence.

Image: Frank Augstein/AP/Press Association Images

Updated 1.50pm

THE LAWYER FOR Anders Behring Breivik, who is the chief suspect in the bomb and gun attacks in Norway on Friday, has said the case indicates his client is ‘insane’.

His defence laywer, Geir Lippestad, told a press conference: ”This whole case has indicated that he’s insane.”

He expects that this is a start of war that will last for 60 years. but his mind is very… well, I don’t want to comment more on his mind, but that’s what he believes. He looks upon himself as a warrior. And he started this war, and takes some kind of pride in that.

The suspect took drugs to be “strong, efficient, awake” Lippestad added, and said Breivik claims he is part of an organisation with several cells in Western countries, including two in Norway.

He said Breivik’s family has not asked to see him.

Lippestad said his client wasn’t giving him instructions for the defence and that he wouldn’t take such instructions.

He confirmed he’s a member of the Labour Party but doesn’t know whether the suspect is aware, telling the AP he doesn’t know why Breivik chose him.

Meanwhile, BBC News reports that Norwegian police are considering charging Breivik with crimes against humanity, which would carry a 30-year sentence.

Breivik faces 21 years in prison for the terrorism charges, but he has told authorities he never expects to be released.

A special sentence can be given to prisoners deemed a danger to society, who are locked up for 20-year sentences that can be renewed indefinitely.

In Breivik’s court appearance, he alluded to two other “cells” of his network — which he refers to in his manifesto as a new “Knights Templar,” the medieval cabal of crusaders who protected Christian pilgrims in the Holy Land.

Police are expected to formally release the names of the victims of the attacks later today.

Police have acknowledged that they took 90 minutes to reach Utoya island and said they weren’t able to deploy a helicopter because the entire crew had been sent on vacation.

Victims who called emergency services from the midst of the massacre reported being told to stay off the line because authorities were dealing with the Oslo bombing.

“I feel the police have delivered well in this situation. I also feel they’ve delivered especially well on the points where there’s been criticism raised,” said minister Knut Storberget.

- Additional reporting from AP

Read more on the BBC News website>

Read: Isolation ordered for Norway attacks suspect Breivik>

Read: Norway gun and bomb attack accused denied public court hearing>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (9 Comments)

Add New Comment