TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 12 °C Friday 26 August, 2016
Advertisement

After five years and 250,000 dead, a ceasefire has been agreed in Syria

The International Syria Support Group also agreed “to accelerate and expand the delivery of humanitarian aid beginning immediately”.

Syrians waiting to return to Syria inquire about possible opening of the closed Turkish border crossing with Syria in the outskirts of Kilis, southeastern Turkey.
Syrians waiting to return to Syria inquire about possible opening of the closed Turkish border crossing with Syria in the outskirts of Kilis, southeastern Turkey.
Image: AP/Press Association Images

WORLD POWERS HAVE agreed an ambitious plan to cease hostilities in war-racked Syria within a week and dramatically ramp up humanitarian access at talks in Munich aimed at reviving the struggling peace process.

The 17 countries agreed “to implement a nationwide cessation of hostilities to begin in a target of one week’s time,” said US Secretary of State John Kerry after extended talks co-hosted by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

The International Syria Support Group also agreed “to accelerate and expand the delivery of humanitarian aid beginning immediately”.

“Sustained delivery will begin this week, first to the areas where it is most urgently needed… and then to all the people in need throughout the country, particularly in the besieged and hard to reach areas,” said Kerry.

Peace talks collapsed earlier this month after troops loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, backed by Russian bombers and Iranian fighters, pressed an offensive on the key rebel stronghold of Aleppo.

Germany Syria US Secretary of State John Kerry, right, and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov attend a news conference after the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) meeting in Munich. Source: Matthias Schrader

The bombardments have forced 50,000 people to flee, left the opposition virtually encircled and killed an estimated 500 people since they began on February 1 — the latest hellish twist in a war that has claimed more than 260,000 lives.

Kerry said talks between rebels and the regime would resume as soon as possible, but warned that “what we have here are words on paper — what we need to see in the next few days are actions on the ground.”

Host German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier agreed, adding that “whether this really is a breakthrough we will see in the next few days”.

“When the whole world sees whether today’s agreements are kept and implemented — by the Assad regime and the Syrian opposition, by Hezbollah and opposition militias, and also by Russia,” he said.

A UN task force, co-chaired by Russia and the US, will work over the coming week “to develop the modalities for a long-term, comprehensive and durable cessation of violence,” Kerry said.

© AFP 2016

Read: A judge who sentenced a man to 55 years in prison is pleading for his release

Read: Man assaulted pregnant girlfriend and killed their unborn son as he didn’t want to be a father

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (54 Comments)

Add New Comment

Most Popular Today

Trending Tags