Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
A VIABLE EXPLOSIVE device has been made safe at a Derry hotel that had been due to host a PSNI recruitment event.
The device was found yesterday in the grounds of the Waterfoot Hotel.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton said: “A controlled explosion was carried out on the device and initial checks by ATO [ammunition technical officer] suggested that it was an elaborate hoax. However, following further examination the object has now been declared a viable improvised explosive device.
This device had the potential to harm anyone in the area and those involved have shown total disregard for human life. We are obviously very thankful that this attack was thwarted and that no one was killed or seriously injured.
Hamilton added: “Clearly there are people out there in today’s society who are still intent on targeting our police service and causing harm to our communities.
We know, however, that the actions of these few misguided individuals will not stop people pursuing a career in policing. In fact we’ve already had approximately 2,400 applications in this current recruitment process.
I am aware of the disruption that has been caused by these security operations and I would like to thank everyone who has co-operated and worked with our officers throughout.
Police said nothing untoward was found at the Millfield Campus of Belfast Metropolitan College and Strule Arts Centre in Omagh, where similar alerts were also raised yesterday.
The Derry recruitment event has been postponed until next Saturday, 17 October.
Some 40 wedding guests who had travelled to Northern Ireland from across the UK and US were among those evacuated from the hotel after the alert was raised.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say