SAMANTHA LEWTHWAITE WAS not involved in last month’s attack on a Nairobi shopping mall that left 67 dead according to Kenyan police.
Police also said that between four and six armed men only, not 10 to 15 as earlier thought, conducted the attack.
“From what we have now that is coming out of the investigation, the number of attackers was between four to six,” police chief David Kimaiyo told Kenyan television station KTN.
“None of them managed to escape from the building after the attack,” he said, implying that they were killed in the confrontation.
Kimaiyo confirmed that Down-born Lewthwaite – nicknamed the “White Widow” — was not involved:
On Samantha we have also established that she was not part of the attackers in the building. There was no woman.
Lewthwaite who was the wife of one of the 7 July London bombers was reported to have been one of the attackers with Interpol issuing a warrant for her arrest.
During the 80-hour siege which began on 21 September, Kenyan officials said that between 10 and 15 gunmen were involved, and later claimed to have killed five of them.
Witnesses in the mall described how the fighters stormed the complex midday on that Saturday when it was crowded with shoppers, firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.
CCTV camera footage from one part of the mall showed only four young men ambling around with AK-47 rifles in hand.