This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Wednesday 19 February, 2020
Advertisement

Man accused of plotting terrorist attack in Australia appeared on ISIS TV debate

Sulayman Khalid gained media attention for a TV appearance earlier this year.

Sulayman Khalid appeared on a current affairs show earlier this year.
Sulayman Khalid appeared on a current affairs show earlier this year.
Image: SBS

A MAN ACCUSED of plotting a terrorist attack in Australia has been arrested and charged.

Australian Federal Police said its Joint Counter Terrorism Team detained two men overnight as part of continuing investigations into the alleged planning of an attack on Australian soil and the facilitation of travel of Australian citizens to Syria to engage in armed combat.

Sulayman Khalid, 20, was charged with possession of documents connected with preparations to “facilitate, assist or engage a person to undertake a terrorist act”.

Police gave no details about what the plan proposed but the Sydney Morning Herald reports that the handwritten notes referred to a police building as a target. They also detailed proposals to carry out guerrilla warfare in the Blue Mountains.

“Certainly, the documents talked a little bit about potential government targets and so on, and what that did, coupled with other things that were seized during the search warrant, gave us significant concern to be able to act early,” said Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan.

“There is nothing that indicates any specific targets or time frame in relation to this particular activity at all”, he added.

The second man, aged 21, was charged for allegedly breaching the conditions of a control order. He cannot be named for legal reasons, according to ABC News.

Earlier this year, the young man appeared on a television debate about the Islamic State group’s activities in the Middle East. He gained media attention for bringing his lawyer with him and for walking off the set following a line of questioning.

Source: Insight SBS/YouTube

Both men are due to appear in court again on Friday. Neither was granted bail.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Tony Abbott warned that there was a heightened level of “terrorist chatter” in the country.

Police have also said the force’s public presence will be stepped up in the days and weeks ahead, with a particular emphasis on New Year’s Eve.

Read: ‘She was destined to change the world’: Families mourn Australian siege heroes

Read: Dad and two young sons survive 10 days in hostile Australian outback

More: Mother charged with murder of eight children in Australia

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (77)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel