This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Monday 19 August, 2019
Advertisement

Disused Avon factory in Portarlington destroyed by massive blaze

It was previously feared that a fire at the site would require the town to be evacuated.

File photo.
File photo.
Image: Photocall Ireland

A DISUSED FACTORY in Portarlington was destroyed by a massive blaze overnight.

The fire, which has now been brought under control, was fought by 12 fire engines from a number of stations in the area.

Emergency services are still at the scene dampening down the debris.

There are no reports of any injuries.

The fire broke out at the disused Avon factory on Canal Road.

In 2012, Senator John Whelan called the site “a disaster waiting to happen”.

“If one incident occurs at the site the entire town would have to be evacuated,” he told the Seanad, and described it as “a tinderbox of 12,000 square metres with hundreds of barrels of chemicals on site, unsecured and open to the elements.”

However, it is understood that fumes from the fire posed no danger to the public.

Senator Whelan also told the Seanad that the site was “apparently… the responsibility and ownership of the National Asset Management Agency”.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (17)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel