#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15°C Thursday 19 May 2022
Advertisement

Ex-pope Benedict failed to act in four child abuse cases, report finds

The report analyses how abuse cases were dealt with in the archdiocese of Munich and Freising between 1945 and 2019.

Image: Shutterstock/vipflash

Updated Jan 20th 2022, 3:32 PM

FORMER POPE BENEDICT XVI has been heavily incriminated in a new report on the handling of child sex abuse in the Catholic Church in Munich.

Benedict, who was the archbishop of Munich and Freising from 1977 to 1982, failed to stop clergymen accused of abuse in four cases, according to the law firm that carried out the probe. 

The report, commissioned by the church, has looked into the handling of child sex abuse in the Catholic Church, with former pope Benedict XVI among those in the spotlight.

The report by law firm Westpfahl Spilker Wastl (WSW) is analysing how abuse cases were dealt with in the archdiocese of Munich and Freising between 1945 and 2019.

The Munich archdiocese, which commissioned the report, said it would examine “whether those responsible complied with legal requirements … and acted appropriately in dealing with suspected cases and possible perpetrators”.

The Vatican reiterated its “shame and remorse” for child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy.

Ex-pope Benedict – whose civilian name is Josef Ratzinger – was the archbishop of Munich from 1977 to 1982.

During this time, a now notorious paedophile priest named Peter Hullermann was transferred to Munich from Essen in western Germany where he had been accused of abusing an 11-year-old boy.

Hullermann was reassigned to pastoral duties despite his history.

In 1986, by which time Ratzinger had been transferred to the Vatican, he was convicted of molesting more children and given a suspended prison sentence.

Even after the conviction, he continued to work with children for many years and his case is regarded as a pertinent example of the mishandling of abuse by the Church.

Benedict has denied knowing about the priest’s history.

82-page statement

The ex-pope has provided an 82-page statement in response to questions from WSW, according to German media reports.

The pope emeritus “takes the fates of the abuse victims very much to heart” and is fully “in favour of the publication of the Munich report”, his spokesman Georg Gaenswein told the Bild daily.

Benedict, 94, in 2013 became the first pope ever to step down from the role in 600 years and now lives a secluded life in a former convent inside the grounds of the Vatican.

The reformist Catholic group “Wir sind Kirche” (We are Church) called on the ex-pontiff to take responsibility for what happened while he was in charge of the Munich diocese.

“An admission by Ratzinger that through his actions or inactions, knowledge or ignorance, he was personally and professionally complicit in the suffering of many young people would be … an example for many other bishops and responsible persons,” it said in a statement.

Germany’s Catholic Church has been rocked by a string of reports in recent years that have exposed widespread abuse of children by clergymen.

A study commissioned by the German Bishops’ Conference in 2018 concluded that 1,670 clergymen in the country had committed some form of sexual attack against 3,677 minors between 1946 and 2014.

‘Systemic failure’ 

However, the real number of victims is thought to be much higher.

Another report published last year exposed the scope of abuse committed by priests in Germany’s top diocese of Cologne.

Cardinal Reinhard Marx, the current archbishop of Munich and Freising, last year offered Pope Francis his resignation over the church’s “institutional and systemic failure” in its handling of child sex abuse scandals.

However, Pope Francis rejected his offer, urging the cardinal known for his reforms to stay and help shape change in the Catholic Church.

As archbishop in Munich since 2007, Marx could also find himself under scrutiny in the WSW report.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Friedrich Wetter, who held the role from 1982 to 2007, is still alive.

The abuse scandal has thwarted the Catholic Church’s efforts to spearhead broad reforms in Germany.

It counted 22.2 million members in 2020 and is still the largest religion in the country, but the number is 2.5 million fewer than in 2010 when the first major wave of paedophile abuse cases came to light.

Payouts for victims of abuse were increased in 2020 to up to €50,000, from around €5,000 previously, but campaigners say the sum is still inadequate.

Ahead of the publication of the Munich report, the Eckiger Tisch victims’ group called for “compensation instead of hollow words”.

“Far too many children and young people have fallen victim” to a system “shaped by abuse of power, intransparency and despotism”, said Matthias Katsch, a spokesman for the group.

Vatican statement

Following the publication of the report, the Vatican repeated its “shame and remorse” for child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy.

“In reiterating its sense of shame and remorse for the abuse of minors committed by clerics, the Holy See assures all victims of its closeness and confirms the path it has taken to protect the youngest, guaranteeing them a safe environment,” said Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni.

Of the independent report, Bruni said, “The Holy See believes it must give due attention to the document, the contents of which are not currently known.” This would happen in “the coming days”.

© – AFP, 2022

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS