Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Wednesday 31 May 2023 Dublin: 12°C
Photocall Ireland
# Celyn Eadon
A man walked out of court - three weeks later he was charged with killing his mother
The report comes in the wake of the case of Celyn Eadon.

THE MINISTER FOR Justice has published a report given to her by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) into the Garda practice, policy and procedure in relation to dealing with people who are remanded in custody by a court.

The report comes in the wake of the case of Celyn Eadon.

On 16 February 2011, Celyn Eadon was remanded in custody at Castlebar District Court but, despite the order, he walked out of the courtroom.

About three weeks after his release, he was charged with killing his mother Noreen Kelly-Eadon at her home in Derrynacrieve, Islandeady, near Castlebar.

The 46-year-old had died from multiple stab wounds.

Last year, a report by Judge Michael Reilly found that “proper procedure” had been followed at the court.

The GSOC report makes a series of seven recommendations to strengthen the capacity of the gardaí to operate remands in custody and to put in place improved liaison arrangements with the Irish Prison Service and the Courts Service.

The GSOC report indicates that the release of Eadon occurred due to a number of deficiencies on the part of the Garda Síochána. It also states that the Garda role and responsibilities “cannot be viewed in isolation”.

Frances Fitzgerald said that there was a “serious breakdown”.

“I very much regret the tragic situation that has occurred. Obviously, the main issue at this stage is to ensure that such a serious breakdown at operational level should not happen again.”

The report recommends a formal relationship for escorting prisoners and that all warrants are entered into the Pulse system as soon as possible.

The Timeline of the Eadon case

Prior to 16 Febuary 2011: Eadon was before the District Court numerous times for traffic offences.

19 January 2011: Eadon failed to appear in court and a warrant for his arrest was issued.

2 February 2011: The Bench Warrant was executed and Eadon was brought to Castlebar District Court. He was remanded in custody to Harristown District Court on 4 February 2011. He was not granted bail.

4 February 2011: Eadon was remanded in custody to Castlebar District Court on 16 February with consent to bail on a number of terms, including a bond of €300, an independent surety of €600 to be approved by court, a curfew, strict sign-ins, to be resident with his mother and to stay off drugs and alcohol.

He was unable to take up bail so he remained in custody to Castlerea Prison.

16 February 2011: Eadon was further charged on Charge Sheet No 11298126 with theft. On this charge, he was remanded on his own bail of €50 to appear at Achill District Court on 10 March 2011. He signed the bail form.

But, on the other charges, he was remanded in custody on the seven sets of summonses referred to above from 19 January.

Despite the court order that he was remanded in custody – and the prepared warrants that were given to the gardaí, he walked out of the District Court.

9 March 2011: Noreen Kelly-Eadon was found dead in her home.

11 March 2011: Celyn Eadon, then 19, was charged with the murder.

February 2014: Eadon was convicted of the murder.

With reporting by Sinéad O’Carroll

Read: ‘Proper procedures’ at Castlebar District Court in Celyn Eadon murder case

Read: Man appears in court charged with mother’s murder in Co Mayo

Your Voice
Readers Comments