#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 2°C Monday 29 November 2021
Advertisement

Man accused of having images of child sex abuse told to stay away from all children

The court tightened his bail restrictions even further on Thursday.

Image: Google Street View

AN ORDER MADE by a district court judge in relation to child pornography charges was changed at Naas District Court to ensure the suspect does not take photos of children.

The Naas judge changed the order of his colleague John Coughlan on Thursday in relation to a man facing allegations of having images of child sex abuse.

Robert Lane, 35, of Riverside Grove, Athgarvan, Co Kildare, is facing charges under Section 6 of the Child Trafficking & Pornography Act. It is alleged that he was found at a Newbridge address, on 23 January 2013 to be in possession of two USB sticks containing images and videos of child sex abuse.

Lane has been ordered not to loiter near playgrounds and schools ‘without exception’.

Judge Desmond Zaidan amended part of the bail conditions as imposed on 7 July.

Previously, Judge Coughlan had ordered he was not to photograph children without the consent of parents or guardians.

Judge Zaidan ordered Lane not to photograph any children under the age of 18 in “any circumstances” and to abstain from alcohol. He is also not to have any contact with children whether or not there is consent from the parent or guardian.

He said: “There is to be no exceptions.”

Judge Zaidan also ordered for the accused to not have any pornography of adults or children in his possession.

Garda John Butler outlined at Naas District Court this week how the accused allegedly had 18 images of “young children in penetrative sexual acts”.

Judge Zaidan released him on his own bond of €700 and ordered him to sign on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between 9am to 9pm.

The accused was warned that an alibi of suffering from mental health is not to form a part of his defence. He is to return to Naas Court on 15 November next for an application to go forward for trial, and has been granted legal aid.

Comments have been disabled as court proceedings continue. 

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

About the author:

Louise McCarthy

Read next:

COMMENTS