Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 2 Jul
RUSSIAN MISSILE AND drone strikes rocked Kyiv in the early hours of this morning, killing at least 17 people and wounding dozens, after president Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned that Moscow was preparing a “massive attack”.
Russia has routinely launched waves of missiles and drones at Ukrainian cities, including Kyiv, during its more than four-year invasion, which has become Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
Russia’s defence ministry confirmed on Thursday it had launched a “massive strike” on Kyiv “in response to the Kyiv regime’s terrorist attacks on civilian infrastructure”.
Do not delay decisions on air defense for Ukraine! This is our main request to our partners after Kyiv suffered a night of horror.
— Andrii Sybiha 🇺🇦 (@andrii_sybiha) July 2, 2026
At least 10 people have been killed as a result of Russia’s brutal attack against the Ukrainian capital with all types of missiles and drones.… pic.twitter.com/7KNONiPvom
Kyiv has urged its allies to send more air defence systems.
“Do not delay decisions on air defence for Ukraine! This is our main request to our partners after Kyiv suffered a night of horror,” Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said on social media.
The attack came after Zelenskyy’s visit to Ireland on Wednesday for the beginning of Ireland’s stint with the EU presidency.
President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned of an impending massive Russian strike, stating that he received “very troubling” intelligence regarding a new large-scale attack on Ukraine.
— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) July 1, 2026
Zelensky made the statement during a joint press conference with Irish Prime Minister Micheál… pic.twitter.com/uDkZt5aLQg
Ukraine’s air force warned that ballistic missiles were headed towards the capital and Zelenskyy cut short his Dublin visit, citing intelligence reports of an impending Russian strike.
AFP journalists in central and eastern Kyiv heard more than a dozen explosions and saw residents – some with children and pets – rushing to shelter in metro stations.
The strikes killed nine people and wounded 34, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine said.
Head of the city’s military administration Tymur Tkachenko decried the deliberate targeting of civilians and residential areas.
Five districts of the wider Kyiv region were struck in the attack, according to regional governor Mykola Kalashnyk.
“During the night, the enemy once again launched a massive attack on the Kyiv region using strike drones, ballistic missiles and cruise missiles,” Kalashnyk said on Telegram.
He said emergency crews were battling fires at warehouses and a house in the Bucha district, while the attacks damaged homes, a student dormitory and vehicles elsewhere in the region.
Hours earlier, an AFP reporter witnessed an explosion in central Kyiv during an air-raid alert, followed by a cloud of smoke and flames. Firefighters and ambulances were at the scene.
A second blast erupted around 50 minutes later near the initial impact site, sending debris into the air.
Images released by Ukrainian emergency services after daybreak showed extensive damage to a residential block, with a chunk of a building missing.
Some residents described the difficulties of spending the night in shelters.
“It’s hard. My child is used to sleeping in complete silence and darkness,” 32-year-old doctor Kateryna Kucheryava told AFP.
“I picked her up and carried her down. She woke up and now she’s not sleeping anymore. We’re trying to get her back to sleep, but she keeps getting distracted. It’s bright here, dogs are barking, other children are around.”
Zelenskyy said earlier on Wednesday that he was rushing home from a visit to Dublin due to intelligence reports that Russia was about to launch a massive attack.
“I urge our people to be especially careful, to protect themselves, their children, and, of course, their families; to use shelters and heed air raid alerts in Ukraine — this is very important,” he told a news conference.
He said Russian President Vladimir Putin “has been preparing this massive strike against Ukraine for some time now”.
Ukraine has also stepped up long-range drone attacks inside Russia in recent weeks, targeting energy infrastructure and military targets.
Russian officials have reported repeated strikes in border regions, while Moscow has said its air defences had intercepted hundreds of drones from Ukraine in recent days.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has caused more than two million military casualties, with Moscow’s forces bearing the brunt of the losses, according to a study published Wednesday by US think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
US efforts to broker an end to the conflict have so far failed.
“Russia’s head is completely refusing to end the war,” Zelenskyy said on Wednesday in a post on X.
“And although through all possible official and unofficial channels – including through people close to him – we have conveyed that the war can and must be ended, and that we in Ukraine are ready for meetings and meaningful negotiations, he sees only further aggression against Ukraine and against other neighbours and Europe as a whole,” he added.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say