#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 6°C Sunday 5 December 2021
Advertisement

This dog started a house fire by switching on the cooker while jumping to get treats

Two fire engines and around 14 firefighters attended the incident.

A FAMILY HOME was nearly destroyed when their pet dog Leo started a fire by switching on the cooker.

The Boxer/Staffordshire cross jumped up and touched a knob on the front of a cooker, turning the hob on.

The ignition caused a child’s car seat that had been left on the hob to catch alight. The dog’s owner told the BBC, “Leo was probably trying to get to a bag of biscuits left inside the child seat.”

The blaze damaged a third of the ground floor of the three-storey house. Fortunately, no one was injured and Leo also escaped unscathed.

It happened on Chandler Way in Peckham, London last month. However, London Fire Brigade have only just released details, in an attempt to highlight the dangers of blazes started by animals.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, “We’re pleased that no one was injured in this fire and while unusual, it’s not unheard of for our crews to deal with incidents like this.

“It shows just how important it is to keep pets away from naked flames or cooker controls and to make sure kitchen surfaces and cookers are clear of food and other items that can easily catch fire.”

Read: Teachers are being trained to spot the ‘warning signs’ of suicide

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (12)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel