#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Tuesday 21 September 2021
Advertisement

Father who maintained his innocence found guilty of murdering three-month-old son

The Crown Prosecution Service said the evidence proved that the injuries could not have been caused by any accident, medical condition or illness.

Image: Shutterstock/wavebreakmedia

A MAN WHO violently assaulted his three-month-old son in England last year has been found guilty of murder today.

Robert Hinz maintained his innocence throughout this case and denied that he had caused Julian’s injuries.

The 34-year-old was caring for his son, Julian, at his home in Bournemouth when the baby suffered fatal head injuries in April 2016.

The emergency services were called by a family member after Hinz identified that Julian was not breathing.

Upon medical examination, Julian was also found to have suffered earlier fractures to his ribs, clavicle and legs on four separate occasions.

Robert Hinz was found guilty of Julian’s murder at Winchester Crown Court today. He was also convicted of causing grievous bodily harm.

Rachel Robertson, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said, “Robert Hinz maintained his innocence throughout this case and denied that he had caused Julian’s injuries.

However, the overwhelming expert evidence proved that his injuries could not have been caused by any accident, medical condition or illness, and having heard all of the evidence, the jury were satisfied that it was Hinz who subjected his son to severe violence.

“Clearly this was a harrowing case for all involved and my thoughts are with Julian’s family today.”

He will be sentenced at a later date.

Read: Irish adults will be able to renew their passports online from Thursday>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS