#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 7°C Saturday 8 May 2021

'Extremely reckless': Two men arrested after vehicle stolen and driven around GAA club during hurling game

Gardaí later apprehended the men on the M50.

Image supplied of some of the damage caused by the vehicle
Image supplied of some of the damage caused by the vehicle
Image: Ted Leddy

GARDAÍ IN DUBLIN have arrested two men in relation to a stolen vehicle that was driven around a GAA club while a senior hurling game took place yesterday.

It’s understood that there was a large crowd in attendance for the game between Castleknock and Thomas Davis yesterday when the incident took place. 

In a match report on the Castleknock GAA club’s website, it said the game was an “incident packed match” which included a “bizarre temporary suspension of play two minutes into the second half when a garda chase in pursuit of a speeding low-loader truck entered the grounds resulting in an amount of damage but thankfully no injuries or even worse”.

A garda spokesperson told TheJournal.ie that two men – aged 44 and 25- were arrested at 6.30pm in relation to the incident, which occurred on Porterstown Road and finished on the M50.

Local councillor Ted Leddy – who attended the game – told TheJournal.ie that he was very relieved that nobody had been hurt.

“This could have been a serious incident,” he said. “There were a number of children in attendance at the game. This was extremely reckless.”

The garda spokesperson confirmed that both men were intercepted at a nearby yard by gardaí. 

“They took off at speed in a cargo truck down Porterstown Road,” a garda spokesperson has said. “Gardaí made a number of attempts to stop the vehicle, and when it finally came to a stop both men ran from the truck. Gardaí gave chase and both men were arrested at the scene.”

Both men were arrested and taken to Finglas and Blanchardstown garda station where they were charged in relation to the incident. 

The 25-year-old man, who was released after posting bail, is due to appear before Blanchardstown District Court on 26 April while the 44-year-old man was charged with a number of incidents and has been detained in custody to appear before Blanchardstown District Court this morning at 10.30am. 

The game continued and finished 1-17 to 2-12 in favour of Castleknock.

Comments are closed for legal reasons

About the author:

Sean Murray

Read next: