Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
ISRAELI FIRE KILLED 10 Palestinians across Gaza today, while Egypt proposed a new ceasefire that would open key crossings into the blockaded territory.
Since an earlier truce collapsed on August 19, the death toll in Gaza has risen steadily with at least 113 Palestinians killed in more than 350 Israeli air strikes across the territory.
Over the same period, more than 650 rockets have struck Israeli soil, one of which killed a four-year-old boy over the weekend, army figures show.Around 110 rockets were shot down.
The Jewish state also came under fire in the north, where at least one rocket was fired from Lebanon, but caused no casualties, the army said.
Israeli artillery returned fire, Israeli security sources said.
Since midnight on Sunday, Israeli fire has killed at least 10 Palestinians, including a woman, a 78-year-old man and a boy aged three.
Also among the dead was Abdullah Mortaja, 27, a freelance journalist who previously worked for Hamas’s Al-Aqsa TV.
Medical officials said he was hit by tank fire in the war-battered Shejaiya area of eastern Gaza City.
Two people wounded previously died of their injuries on Monday, raising the Gaza death toll since the July 8 start of the campaign to 2,134 with 10,915 wounded, according to the emergency services.
Three children and two adults sheltering at a UN school in Jabaliya were injured by flying shrapnel when an Israeli shell hit nearby, UN and medical officials said.
West Bank teen dies
The invitation to new truce talks came after Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas on Saturday.
Egypt has repeatedly urged all parties to accept an open-ended truce and return to the negotiating table in Cairo.
Abbas is expected to convene a meeting of the Palestinian leadership in the West Bank city of Ramallah on Thursday, a Palestinian official said without elaborating.
Previous temporary ceasefires have failed to produce agreement, although back-to-back extensions have given millions of people periods of relief from incessant bombardment and rocket fire.
Hamas, the de facto authority in Gaza, says any truce must provide for a lifting of Israel’s crippling eight-year blockade and the opening of a seaport and airport, while Israel has demanded Gaza be demilitarised.
In the northern West Bank, a 14-year-old Palestinian died of wounds sustained Friday in clashes with Israeli forces during a protest against the Gaza war.
At least 20 Palestinians have been killed during such protests since the conflict broke out, UN figures show.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say