#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Monday 21 June 2021
Advertisement

Reilly denies U-turn on personal assistant service cuts

The Minister for Health said he deplored the fact that people had to stay up all night protesting because of the fear of service cuts.

Image: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

MINISTER FOR HEALTH Dr James Reilly appeared on RTE’s Prime Time last night to answer his critics after the backlash that followed last week’s health cuts announcement.

Reilly said as far as he was concerned there was never a U-turn as there was “no decision to remove” personal assistance services for people with disabilities.

Despite comments from Taoiseach Enda Kenny yesterday commending the Health Minister for his reversal of cuts, Reilly said he had always made it clear that this would be an area of last resort.

The Minister said he “deplored the fact that people had to stay up all night in the cold because of the fear that they felt that their services were going to be withdrawn”.

Responding to comments that he had failed to respond to questions around cuts in a timely manner, Reilly said, “I tried my best and I didn’t succeed”.

Reilly said the government would do everything in their power to ensure services were maintained but would not guarantee that there would not be cuts in this area in the forthcoming  budget.

Read: People with disabilities continue their protest outside Leinster House despite U-turn>

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Read next:

COMMENTS (32)