We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Jimmy Kimmel and Donald Trump Alamy

Jimmy Kimmel's late-night TV show cancelled - here's what he said about Trump and Charlie Kirk

On Monday, Kimmel spoke about the shooting in his show-opening monologue.

US TELEVISION HOST Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night show was pulled from the air last night hours after the US government threatened to cancel broadcasting licences because of comments the host made about the killing of far-right activist Charlie Kirk.

The stunning move by network ABC to remove one of America’s most influential late-night shows was blasted by critics as government censorship, but celebrated by Donald Trump, who has long chaffed at the comedians who mock him.

So what did Kimmel say that led to his show getting pulled?

‘New lows’

In his opening monologue on Monday night, Kimmel covered a few topical issues before turning to the death of Charlie Kirk and the response from Trump and his supporters.

“We hit some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang desperately trying to characterise this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them and doing everything they can to score political points from it,” said Kimmel, referring to the president’s “Make America Great Again” movement.

Kirk, a close ally of Trump, was shot dead on a Utah university campus last week, setting off a bitter battle over responsibility in the US, with conservatives – including Trump – blaming “the radical left.”

Authorities this week said 22-year-old Tyler Robinson was the lone gunman, and brought a murder charge against him.

Kimmel then showed footage of Trump answering a question about Kirk, before almost immediately pivoting to boasting about the new ballroom he is building at the White House, prompting laughter from the studio audience.

A reporter offers Trump his condolences and asks how he is holding up.

“I think very good, and by the way right there you see all the trucks, they’ve just started construction for the new ballroom for the White House,” Trump replied. 

“On a human level, you can see how hard the president is taking this,” Kimmel said sarcastically. 

“This is not how an adult grieves the murder of somebody called a friend. This is how a four-year-old mourns a goldfish,” said Kimmel.

Jimmy Kimmel Live / YouTube

FCC threat 

On Wednesday, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Brendan Carr openly threatened the licence of ABC affiliates who broadcast Kimmel’s show.

“I think it’s past time these (affiliates) themselves push back… and say, ‘Listen, we’re not going to run Kimmel anymore until you straighten this out because we’re running the possibility of licence revocation from the FCC,’” he told right-wing podcaster Benny Johnson.

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way. These companies can find ways to change conduct and take action, frankly, on Kimmel or there’s going to be additional work for the FCC ahead.”

Hours later, Nexstar, one of the country’s biggest owners of ABC affiliate stations, announced it would be removing the show from its stations.

Nexstar is in the middle of a multi-billion dollar merger with a rival that will require FCC approval.

ABC – which is owned by Disney – then followed suit, pulling the show nationwide.

Kimmel did not immediately comment, and representatives for the entertainer did not respond to AFP queries.

‘Great news for America’

“Great News for America,” he wrote on his Truth Social page in response to the news the show had been pulled.

“Congratulations to ABC for finally having the courage to do what had to be done.”

Trump, who also rejoiced in July at the cancellation of Kimmel’s fellow late-night satirist Stephen Colbert, then urged that two other comedians be removed.

“That leaves Jimmy (Fallon) and Seth (Meyers), two total losers, on Fake News NBC. Their ratings are also horrible. Do it NBC!!!”

The White House has fired several broadsides against cultural institutions it views as hostile to Trump’s brand of right-wing nationalism.

Law firms, universities and the media have all been targeted, including with lawsuits that legal experts say are meritless, but which nevertheless have resulted in huge payments.

ABC and Paramount-owned CBS have both coughed up.

The settlements – which are to be paid to Trump’s future presidential library – were seen as being motivated by the desire of the news organizations’ parent companies to stay in Trump’s good graces.

Democrats were quick to connect the dots on Wednesday.

“President Trump and FCC Chair Carr made it clear: fall in line or be silenced,” US Senator Ben Ray Lujan posted on X.

“Buying and controlling media platforms. Firing commentators. Canceling shows. These aren’t coincidences. It’s coordinated. And it’s dangerous,” wrote California Governor Gavin Newsom.

“They are censoring you in real time.”

- © AFP 2025

With reporting from David Mac Redmond

Author
View 166 comments
Close
166 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel

     
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds