This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Tuesday 16 July, 2019
Advertisement

100 people feared dead after shipwreck off Libya

Around 50 people have been resecued from the water.

File photo of stranded migrant boat off the Libyan coast.
File photo of stranded migrant boat off the Libyan coast.
Image: Rowan Griffiths/Daily Mirror / PA

Updated 8pm

SURVIVORS OF A fishing boat shipwreck in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya on Wednesday said that some 100 migrants may have drowned, the International Organization of Migration said.

“The survivors who talked to our teams when they landed at Porto Empedocle (Sicily) spoke of 100 missing people who were stuck in the hull,” IOM spokesman in Italy Flavio Di Giacomo told AFP.

According to those who made it to land, the boat was carrying some 650 people when it set sail from chaos-wracked Libya, “most of them Moroccans”, Di Giacomo said.

Earlier estimates had put the toll of yesterday’s disaster at five.

While the Italian navy was able to rescue 562 people from the water, yesterday’s shipwreck may be one of the worst tragedies since the migrant crisis began.

Di Giacomo said it was rare for such large, heavy ships to be used by migrants seeking to reach Europe from Libya.

As well as Moroccans, many Tunisians and two Syrian families who had been living in Libya were among the survivors, he added.

- © AFP 2016.

Read: One killed, at least four injured on French motorway in cross-border police chase>

Read: Police force migrants from school using tear gas>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (51)