Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 19°C Thursday 18 August 2022
Advertisement

Fifth man charged with conspiracy to murder Dublin man

Dean Howe was remanded in custody today after he was accused of conspiracy to murder Gary Hanley.

Image: Photocall Ireland

Updated May 15th 2019, 11:20 AM

A FIFTH MAN has been charged with conspiracy to murder a Dublin man.

Dean Howe was remanded in custody today after he was accused of conspiracy to murder Gary Hanley, from Dublin’s north inner city.

Howe, 34, with an address at Oakfield Place, Dublin 8 was arrested by detectives from the Garda Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau.

He was charged at Irishtown Garda station on last night and brought before Judge Bryan Smyth at Dublin District Court on this morning.

He was charged with an offence under Section 71 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006. He was accused of conspiring with others murder Hanley at a location within the State between 15 September and 6 November 2017.

Dressed in a light green striped tracksuit and runners, he stood silently throughout the brief hearing. He has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Detective Garda Brian McDermott told Judge Smyth the defendant made no reply when charged. There was an application for a remand in custody.

Defence solicitor Edward Bradbury told the court there was no application for bail at this stage and his client was consenting to a remand in custody for one week.

In a legal aid application, the solicitor said Howe was unemployed. There was no garda objection to legal aid which was then granted.

Fifth man 

Judge Smyth remanded Howe in custody to appear via video-link on 22 May at Cloverhill District Court.

He was the fifth person to be charged with the offence.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

In November last year Luke Wilson (23), from Cremona Road in Ballyfermot, Dublin 10, was jailed by the Special Criminal Court for 11 years.

He admitted conspiring to murder Hanley

Alan Wilson (39) of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, Liam Brannigan (37) from Bride Street, Dublin 8 and Joseph Kelly (35) of Kilworth Road, Drimnagh, Dublin 12 were also charged previously with conspiring to murder Hanley.

Kelly is also facing charges of the possession of a Beretta handgun and fifteen rounds of ammunition with intent to endanger life at Philipsburgh Avenue, Fairview, Dublin 3 on 6 November 2017.

A trial date for Alan Wilson, Brannigan and Kelly has been set for 7 October  2019.

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS