met police

Man and woman arrested over deaths of two young boys in London

The suspects were known to the children who were found at a property in Dagenham, east London, police said.

A MAN AND a woman have been arrested following the discovery of the bodies of two young boys in east London.

Emergency services were called to an address in Cornwallis Road, Dagenham, east London, at 2pm today, where they found the bodies of the two boys, aged two and five.

A woman was arrested shortly afterwards when police were called to a disturbance at a nearby property.

The man was detained later and both were known to the children, according to the Metropolitan Police.

A force spokesman said: “An investigation has been launched into the deaths of two children in Dagenham.

“Emergency services were called at around 1400hrs on Friday, 16 December, to the bodies of two young children found at a residential address in Cornwallis Road, Dagenham.

“Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the location.

“They found the bodies of a two-year-old boy and a five-year-old boy, who were both pronounced dead at the scene.

“Their family have been informed and will be supported by specialist officers.

“Post-mortem examinations and formal identifications will be arranged in due course.

“A woman was arrested a short time later in connection with the incident. She was arrested after police were called to a disturbance at a residential address near to the scene.

“A man was also arrested near to the scene in connection with the incident. Both the man and woman remain in police custody.”

Detective Inspector Sean Treweek said: “This is clearly an extremely distressing incident with many unanswered questions, however at this very early stage, nobody else is sought in connection with the deaths.

“I want to thank local people for the assistance they have given officers as they begin work along with partner agencies to establish the full circumstances of these two tragic deaths. They will see additional officers in the area, and anyone with information or concerns should speak with those officers.”

The force spokesman said that cordons remained in place at the location and inquiries were ongoing.

Press Association
Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel