This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Wednesday 19 February, 2020
Advertisement

Michael Jackson's doctor pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter

Dr Conrad Murray told pretrial judge that he is an “innocent man” and pleaded not guilty to the star’s death.

Dr Conrad Murray, left, appeared in court in LA on 25 January, 2011.
Dr Conrad Murray, left, appeared in court in LA on 25 January, 2011.
Image: AP Photo/Irfan Khan, Pool

DR CONRAD MURRAY HAS pleaded not guilty to the involuntary manslaughter of pop star Michael Jackson in 2009, the PA reports.

Michael Jackson, 50, was rushed to hospital from his LA home on 25 June, 2009, on suspicion of suffering a cardiac arrest.

He could not be resuscitated and was pronounced dead at UCLA Medical Centre.

Murray is accused of injecting Jackson with a lethal dose of the strong anaesthetic Propofol, which is meant for hospital rather than home use.

The head of Jackson’s security gave evidence earlier this month regarding the death. The court heard that Murray, Jackson’s doctor, had waited 21 minutes before calling an ambulance, the Telegraph reported, and the prosecution claimed Murray tried to conceal that he had administered Propofol to the singer.

Addressing the court yesterday in a preliminary hearing, Murray pleaded not guilty and said: “I’m an innocent man”.

His defence team told the media outside the court that Murray was looking forward to “telling his side of the story”, and has been waiting 22 months for that opportunity, E!Online reports.

A trial date has been set for 28 March, and another pretrial hearing will be held on 7 February.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS