This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 9 °C Wednesday 20 November, 2019
Advertisement

68-year-old man accused of murdering long-term-partner to face trial

Desmond Duffy is accused of the murder of 59-year-old Des Sullivan last year in Rathmines.

Image: Shutterstock/ESB Professional

A 68-YEAR-OLD man has been sent forward for trial accused of murdering his long-term partner at their south Dublin home.

Charity shop worker, Des Sullivan, 59, died after he was injured at his house in Summerville Park, Rathmines, Dublin 6, on 6 May last.

His partner Desmond Duffy, 68, was arrested at the same location in December and taken to Rathmines Garda station where he was charged with murdering Mr Sullivan.

He had been remanded in custody at his first hearing on 22 December last but was later granted bail in the High Court.

He appeared again before Judge Kathryn Hutton at Dublin District Court today when he was served with a book of evidence by Detective Inspector George McGeary, of Terenure Garda station.

A State solicitor told Judge Hutton that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that Mr Duffy will face trial on indictment.

Judge Hutton granted the State’s request to order that Mr Duffy was being returned for trial to the Central Criminal Court. Judge Hutton warned him that if he intended to rely on an alibi in his defence he must notify the prosecution within 14 days.

A date for his next hearing has yet to be allocated.

At his first court appearance in December, Detective Inspector George McGeary, of Terenure Garda station, had said that when the charge was put to Mr Duffy he replied: “Nothing to say until I speak to my solicitor. Not guilty.”

Free legal aid was granted after the district court was provided with a statement of his means.

An inquest has heard that Mr Sullivan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Bail has been set in the sum of €10,000 and on condition he surrendered his passport and he signs on twice weekly at a garda station.

Comments have been closed as this case is before the courts.

Read: Rapist jailed six times for sexual offences remanded in custody over Dart assault

Read: Second man (18) charged with murder of David ‘Daithi’ Douglas

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS