#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Monday 2 August 2021
Advertisement

Murder investigation launched after man’s body “engulfed by fire” in park

Gardai are still treating the death as suspicious as post-mortem continues on his burned body.

The body of the man is removed from where it was found on fire near the Wellington Monument in Phoenix Park, Dublin.
The body of the man is removed from where it was found on fire near the Wellington Monument in Phoenix Park, Dublin.
Image: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

Updated 23.07pm

A FULL MURDER investigation has been launched into the death of a man whose body was found in the Phoenix Park in Dublin in the early hours of this morning. Gardaí said the body was so badly burnt that the victim’s age could not be established.

The full results of the post mortem have now been passed on to the investigation team, but aren’t being made public for ‘operational reasons’.

Speaking at a briefing at the scene in the Phoenix Park earlier this evening, Garda Superintendent David Taylor said that the body was found in a sleeping bag but was so “engulfed by the fire” that it had proven impossible so far to tell what age the man was; only his gender has been confirmed.

The horrific find was made this morning at 1am near the Wellington Monument by a passing Garda patrol car. The officers spotted the blaze and alerted fire services as they attended the scene.

Superintendent Taylor said members of the Dublin Fire Brigade attended the scene but “despite their best efforts, they could not save the man”.

Dr Marie Cassidy, the State pathologist visited the scene earlier today and carried out a preliminary examination, and a full post-mortem was later carried out at the city morgue.

Appeal

Gardaí are making a particular appeal to the homeless community or to anyone who might have a friend, relative or associate who lives homeless and has not been seen in the last 24 hours.

“We do understand that people have a lifestyle that they may be uncomfortable coming to the Garda Síochana but I can assure you, the information that you may have will be treated in the strictest of confidence,” Taylor said in his appeal to the public this evening.

The superintendent said it was still not known how the fire started:

(Video: TheJournal.ie/YouTube)

Anyone who might have been in the area of Wellington Road in the major Dublin park between 4pm yesterday and 1am this morning is asked to ring Cabra Garda station on 01 6667400 or any garda station.

- additional reporting by Michelle Hennessy and Daragh Brophy.

Simon Community: Phoenix Park death highlights vulnerability of homeless>
Scene where man died in early morning fire>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (46)