Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Pictures: The case of a Dublin prisoner who swallowed a mobile phone

The prisoner presented to the Emergency Department of Tallaght Hospital with vomiting ten hours after he swallowed the phone.

Convert JPG to PDF online - convert-jpg-to-pdf.net Source: International Journal of Surgery Case Reports

A NEW REPORT has detailed the case of a prisoner in Dublin who was admitted to hospital after he swallowed a mobile phone.

The 29-year-old prisoner presented to the Emergency Department of Tallaght Hospital with vomiting ten hours after he claimed to have swallowed the phone.

Scans showed that the phone was lodged in his stomach.

Convert JPG to PDF online - convert-jpg-to-pdf.net Source: convert-jpg-to-pdf.net

An upper endoscopy was performed on the man – where a scope is inserted into the mouth the examine the oesophagus and stomach.

However doctors failed to remove the phone using endoscopic snares, graspers, tripod forceps and baskets.

They abandoned that approach and eventually managed to get the phone out by way of a gastrotomy – whereby a hole is made in the outside stomach.

The phone was then removed from the stomach using forceps.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

PowerPoint Presentation Source: obinna obinwa

The device measured 68 x 23 x 11mm.

The case is highlighted in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports.

The man is said in the report to have had “complex psycho-social issues”.

He made a full recovery following the incident and underwent psychological counselling before he was discharged.

Read: Two Cavan mushroom pickers got really sick because of bird poop

Read: Study tracking the 20 people who attend the Mater emergency department most finds most are men, all are unemployed

About the author:

Cormac Fitzgerald

Read next:

COMMENTS (57)