This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17 °C Friday 7 August, 2020
Advertisement

Possible gas appliance link to Derry deaths

Investigation into teen deaths reveals further details.

Image: Google Maps

A FAULTY GAS appliance is believed to be linked to the deaths of two teenage boys in Derry on Tuesday night, according to investigators. The teenagers are suspected to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Friends Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson, both 18, died in an apartment in Castlerock, Co Derry.

A third boy found unconscious at the scene was successfully resuscitated. He is still recovering in hospital.

Davidson’s mother has spoken of her shock and sadness at discovering her son and his friend dead in the apartment. She told hte BBC that the four parents headed to the flat when they had not heard from the boys and thought something was wrong.

She said they had to force their way into the flat, and she knew immediately that her son was dead although attempts were made to resuscitate him and McFerran.

Carbon monoxide is produced by all flames and is extremely toxic. It can be fatal if the quantity of the gas is present in as little as 0.1% of a room’s air supply.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS