This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 19 °C Saturday 20 April, 2019
Advertisement

Could this Fine Gael TD be deselected?

The Taoiseach would not say if Sean Conlan will be deselected if charged over an alleged assault in a Monaghan pub.

Sean Conlan
Sean Conlan
Image: RollingNews.ie

TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has expressed confidence in Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan despite his recent arrest over an alleged assault at a pub in Co Monaghan.

Conlan was arrested and questioned by gardaí last week as part of an investigation into an incident at Conlan’s family pub in Ballybay on 23 August.

He was released without charge and a file has been sent to the DPP.

On Tuesday, Conlan, along with fellow Fine Gael deputies Heather Humphreys and Joe O’Reilly, was selected by party members in the Cavan-Monaghan constituency to contest the next general election.

Kenny shook hands with Conlan after arriving at the Fine Gael think-in in Co Limerick this afternoon.

Speaking to the media a short time later, the Taoiseach would not be drawn on whether Conlan could be deselected by the party if charged in relation to the alleged assault.

He insisted Fine Gael had followed the democratic process in selecting the first-time TD to run for re-election.

“I can’t comment on matters that have been alleged to have happened because I don’t have the detail of that,” he said.

Obviously the convention is a very democratic process and three sitting deputies, one of whom is a minister of government, and we allow them to make their decision in that matter.

“You know I can’t speculate on allegations that circulate in the media. Obviously the convention was convened to make a decision and it made its decision very clearly, in accordance with the democratic rules of the Fine Gael party.”

Kenny was repeatedly asked by reporters if Conlan would be deselected by the party if charged over the alleged assault, but he said: “It’s not for me to comment on allegations that have been made here.

10/9/2015. FG Think-in 2015. Taoiseach and leader

Obviously the law will take its course, if it has to take its course, in any situation. I don’t wish to comment on any that.

Asked if he retained confidence in Conlan, Kenny stated clearly: “Sean Conlan is an elected member of the Fine Gael party as a Dáil deputy. He has been selected by his constituency convention to contest the next election, of course I have.”

Conlan released a statement last weekend claiming that he had been assaulted by an individual over Irish Water and the government’s handling of water charges.

He denied he had been arrested by appointment last week, saying he was unaware that this would happen when he arrived to make a statement at Ballybay garda station.

The Fine Gael deputy also hit out “certain journalists” whom he said “leaned toward sensationalism over accuracy in conveying this story”.

Read: Fine Gael TD claims he was assaulted in a pub over Irish Water

Read: Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan arrested

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (74)