#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 7°C Thursday 26 November 2020
Advertisement

Seán Quinn: Attacks on Quinn properties are not in my name

The ousted chief of the Quinn Group denies claims by its new CEO that he wouldn’t condemn attacks on its properties.

Various properties connected to the Quinn Group and its managers have been attacked in the last month.
Various properties connected to the Quinn Group and its managers have been attacked in the last month.
Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

SEÁN QUINN HAS insisted that a spate of attacks which have hit various properties associated with his group and its managers are not being carried in out in his name.

In a statement released to RTÉ this evening, Quinn said he had “no knowledge whatsoever” of any attacks on properties associated with the Quinn Group, which is now out of his hands and in permanent administration, other than what had been reported in the media.

Quinn added that he had spoken with the PSNI’s chief inspector in relation to the acts of sabotage in the past and stated that the actions were not being carried out in his name.

At that time, he said, he had requested that the attacks be stopped.

His statement conflicted with an interview given by the Quinn Group’s chief executive Paul O’Brien to the News at One earlier today, when he said the attacks were being carried out “in his [Quinn's] name”.

O’Brien had earlier said his home, and other priorioties, were beig targeted because people “want the new management out, and the original management restored. I think it’s as simple and clear as that. They’re being orchestrated with that in mind.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

“Sean Quinn was asked, by the board, to renounce, condemn and ask for these activities to desist forthwith, and he refused.”

O’Brien’s family car was set alight outside his home in Ratoath in Co Meath earlier this week. The car was destroyed, and damage caused to his home and to that of a neighbour.

More: Quinn Group chief executive’s family car destroyed in arson attack >

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS (1)