Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Teenage boy in US died after drinking energy drinks too quickly

Davis Allen Cripe, 16, collapsed at school and later died in hospital.

A TEENAGER IN South Carolina died after drinking energy drinks too quickly, a coroner has ruled.

Davis Allen Cripe, 16, collapsed at school on 26 April and later died in hospital.

Local news station WLTX reports that Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said an excessive amount of caffeine was the cause of the teenager’s death.

Watts said Cripe had consumed a number caffeinated drinks on the day he collapsed, including a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte and some type of energy drink.

tweet Source: Twitter

The coroner said energy drinks can be dangerous and encouraged people not to drink them.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

“This is what’s dangerous about this. You can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing … and it may not have any type of effect on them at all,” Watts said.

The boy’s father, Sean Cripe, said he was “broken-hearted” and his son was “a great kid”. He urged parents to talk to their children about the dangers of energy drinks.

Read: Driver has lucky escape after huge wind turbine blade hits lorry

Read: Donald Trump ‘wasn’t aware’ where intelligence he passed to the Russians came from

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)