We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Eleanor Donaldson outside Newry Crown Court in February 2025. Alamy Stock Photo

Trial of Jeffrey Donaldson and 'trial of facts' of his wife to be heard together, judge rules

A judge ruled that Eleanor Donaldson was unfit to stand trial after hearing medical evidence.

THE TRIAL OF former DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson and the trial of the facts of his wife Eleanor Donaldson in a historical sexual offences case will proceed simultaneously, a judge has ruled.

Judge Paul Ramsey made the ruling at Newry Crown Court today, when he confirmed that both sets of proceedings will begin on 26 May.

The judge ruled on Wednesday that Eleanor Donaldson was unfit to be tried after hearing medical evidence.

She is now set to face a trial of the facts – a process that tests the evidence in the case, but cannot result in her being criminally convicted.

Unlike a normal trial, a jury cannot find the person guilty, but they can determine if the person committed the alleged offences.

The judge had previously heard legal submissions on whether that trial of the facts should run alongside the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson or as separate proceedings at a different time.

Delivering his ruling, the judge said: “The interests of justice require that this case be progressed in a manner that is fair to all parties, but also as expeditiously as such fairness permits.

“Accordingly I rule that the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson and the trial of the facts of Eleanor Donaldson be held simultaneously, and the case will commence on Tuesday next, the 26 May.”

sir-jeffrey-donaldson-leaves-newry-crown-court-following-a-no-bill-hearing-where-his-wife-lady-eleanor-donaldson-is-seeking-to-have-two-charges-dismissed-in-the-historical-sex-offences-case-involvin Jeffrey Donaldson has pleaded not guilty to 18 alleged offences. Alamy Stock Photo Alamy Stock Photo

Neither Jeffrey nor Eleanor Donaldson were present in court for the ruling. They were not required to attend.

Prior to today’s proceedings, the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson (63) had been listed to start on 26 May.

He has pleaded not guilty to 18 alleged offences.

The charges include one count of rape and allegations of indecent assault and gross indecency, and span a time period between 1985 and 2008, involving two alleged victims.

Eleanor Donaldson (60), of Dublinhill Road, Dromore, has denied charges of aiding and abetting.

Proceedings had already been delayed twice due to medical issues related to her.

Prosecuting barrister Fiona O’Kane KC told the court today that it was hoped that a jury could be sworn on 26 May and the proceedings commenced the following day.

Jeffrey Donaldson, a former long-standing MP for Lagan Valley, was arrested and charged at the end of March 2024.

He resigned as DUP leader and was suspended from the party after the allegations emerged.

Weeks before his arrest, he had led the DUP back into devolved government at Stormont after a two-year boycott of the power-sharing institutions.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds